EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Terms of Reference for preparing Terminal Report
Application of Resilience Principles to Strengthen the Ecological Organic Agriculture (EOA) Initiative project being implemented by Institute of Sustainable Development (ISD)
- Methodology to prepare the Terminal Report
- How to Apply
1.1. Purpose: The project supported a holistic productive EOA sector involving women, youth, and students for improved health and nutrition, food security, poverty alleviation, and climate change adaptation during 2017-2021 in some parts of Amhara (South Wollo Zone), Oromia, Tigray, and SNNP Regions. The following TOR is for the consultant(s) to collect, organize and compile data and information of the progress/achievements including activities, output, and immediate outcomes as well as draw lessons learned, challenges, and recommendations that would benefit the design of current and future interventions. The Terminal Report is aimed at providing the overall status of the implementation of the Project to the project partners and in particular the project implementer, ISD, and the project donor (SSNC).
1.2. Estimated Period of the task: Three months (60 working days)
1.3. Location of Task: Addis Ababa but will travel to some (sample) of the project locations as needed to be determined with ISD consultation (South wollo, Holeta, Mekele)
Institute for Sustainable Development (ISD) was founded in 1996 and has been working with national and international organizations to achieve its objectives since its establishment. Under this SSNC project, it was planned to promote an EOA production system that sustains the health of soils and ecosystems by ecological processes, bio-diversity & cycles adapted to local conditions through pillars namely (i) Pillar 1: research, training, and extension, (ii) Pillar 2: information and communication, (iii) Pillar 3: Value chain and market development, (iv) Pillar 4: Networking and partnership, and (v) Pillar 5: focused on policy and program development in selected woredas of Oromia, Amhara, Tigray, and SNNP Regional States, and pillar 6: additional to Institutional Capacity of ISD.
The consultant is expected to provide an independent, objective perspective as well as high-level technical expertise in preparing the report. S/he should not have been involved or have a vested interest in the program or operation being implemented.
The specific methodology and process will be agreed through close consultation between the consultant, the donor’s technical team, and the ISD project management team, but will be required to draw upon the following primary methods:
1. Desk review of background documents, relevant project background, and history, including reports, and any relevant internal and external documents or sources of secondary data.
2. Field visits to branches, to assess achievements, document best practices, opportunities, and challenges
3. Key Informant Interviews: with selected beneficiaries and key stakeholders groups at the project areas
The work shall be carried out between July to September 2021. The detailed work plan will have to be developed by the consultant and its validation will be done in consultation with the ISD project management team. All the consultancy work should be finalized by end of September 2021.
Inception Report – The inception report will be a scoping exercise for preparing the report and expected to include the proposed methodologies, data collection and reporting plans with draft data collection tools such as interview guides, the allocation of roles and responsibilities of the consultant and his/her team, if any, a timeframe with firm dates for deliverables, and the travel and logistical arrangements for the team.
Debriefings – The consultant will present the draft report, identifying key findings, conclusions, recommendations, and lessons for the current and future operation in a workshop for validating the report. The consultant will incorporate any comments relating to factual inaccuracies etc. reflected in the workshop and written comments during/before the workshop is held. , and present the final report to the evaluation management team within one week after the workshop/debriefing.
Final evaluation report – The final report will contain a short executive summary and a main body of the report covering the background of the intervention, a description of the data analysis methods, achievement (activities, outputs, immediate outcomes), lessons learned, conclusions, and recommendations. The report should also contain appropriate appendices, including a copy of the ToR, cited resources or bibliography, a list of key informants interviewed, and any other relevant materials. The final terminal report will be submitted 10 days after receipt of the consolidated feedback from ISD.
In all matters in relation to the terminal report, The consultant will work closely with the monitoring and evaluation expert. The monitoring and evaluation expert will serve as the mediator of the consultant and ISD management throughout the preparation process.
Applicants to the task should have the following qualifications:
- Demonstrable experience in leading terminal report or evaluations of development projects, particularly in smallholder farmers livelihood projects: ecological organic agriculture, agroecology development, or natural resource conservation-based agriculture and rural development
- Demonstrable strong analytical skills and ability to clearly synthesize and present findings, draw practical conclusions, make recommendations and prepare well-written reports in a timely manner;
- Demonstrable experience in qualitative and quantitative data collection and data analysis techniques;
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English, with relevant writing samples of similar reports.
- Minimum qualification of a master’s degree in agricultural economics, natural resource development, rural development, development studies, a combination of education, and relevant work experience.
- Eligible, interested, and competent consultants/firms are kindly requested to submit their technical and financial proposal in separate envelopes along with their all credentials that address the stated requirement in this TOR within 10 days of this announcement in person.
- Applicants should submit their complete profile including updated and summarized CV and qualification of the lead consultant and key staff and should be able to provide renewed legal documents; license, Tin, and Vat registration certificate in 10 days’ time from the announcement date
Our office is near the British Embassy opposite to MENAROL GUEST HOUSE building along the side/slip road to Sholla. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For further information please call on: +251 116 186774 or +251-912986074/0911182233